Re: How edit a saved palette?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg85241] Re: [mg85234] How edit a saved palette?
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 03:08:13 -0500 (EST)

I now know how to extract the body of the palette into a new notebook
(thanks to Yuri Kandrashkin).

What I get, when I look at the underlying expression, has the form:

  Cell[BoxData[GridBox[{
    {
     ButtonBox[...]},
    {
     ButtonBox[...]},

     (* etc *)
   },
   GridBoxSpacing->(* settings here *),
   NotebookDefault]

I can, of course, edit the individual buttons there.  But how do I turn
this back into a palette?  If I surround the actual in-notebook grid
with CreatePalette, that seems to do nothing.

I could change all the ButtonBox expressions to plain Button expressions
and put those into a Grid, then wrap CreatePalette around it.  That
seems like a lot of unnecessary work.  Moreover, it creates a palette
with individual, "raised" buttons on the background of the palette,
whereas I prefer the style of the original palette, which merely has the
button names in a column directly on the background, without any
separate, "raised" buttons on that background.

In case you're wondering, the palette I'm trying to modify is
CellProperties.nb (as I recall this shipped with an old version of
Mathematica or some set of tools for an old version of Mathematica).
And all I'm trying to do is change the action on the Evaluatable button
as dr DanW suggested in [mg85215]: set Opacity->0.5 when the cell is not
evaluatable and restore Opactiy->1 when it is evaluatable.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305