Re: helpMathematicaPackages

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg85391] Re: helpMathematicaPackages
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 22:37:09 -0500 (EST)

madalina wrote:

> I have a lot of .mx files in mathematica. I read about them and I understoond they are still packages like the .m files but they are faster.
> I wanted to know if I can obtain the .nb files from the .mx files?
> (as the contain of the .mx files is unreadable)
> If I can not do this conversion, this means that the people that design the packages didn't want anyone else to see the content or to access it?

Actually, MX files are not faster to execute but only faster to _load_
in comparison to regular notebook file (see [1]). Also, contrary to MB
files, MX files will run only on a specific operation system and version
of Mathematica. And, since they are not readable for the human eyes,
they are a good way to protect the intellectual property of their authors.

Regards,
--
Jean-Marc

[1] "MX (.mx)", http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/ref/format/MX.html