Re: Vector file out of Mathematica?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg85752] Re: Vector file out of Mathematica?
  • From: Szabolcs Horvát <szhorvat at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 17:56:18 -0500 (EST)

Steve Gray wrote:
> 	I need to do editing on some Graphic3D objects created in Mathematica.
> If I do CopySpecial > metafile or Export["foo.emf", gr3D] (where gr3d
> = Graphics3D[...]) and paste or open it in Corel Draw or Adobe
> Illustrator, it looks like a very crude bitmap. I need to have it be a
> vector file so resolution is preserved. How can I export a vector file
> from Mathematica that is in some standard format that common vector software
> can deal with? If some lighting or shading effects are lost, that
> would be ok.

Illustrator understands EPS and PDF.  Most vector graphics editors
understand SVG.  Export to one of these formats.  I recommend using PDF
with Mathematica 6 and EPS with Mathematica <= 5.2.  Avoid windows
metafiles whenever you can, especially WMF files (EMF is better).

See the doc page of Export (and the links at the bottom) for more info
on different formats.