Re: Finite difference method with mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg92679] Re: Finite difference method with mathematica
  • From: Tyler <hayes.tyler at>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 04:35:13 -0400 (EDT)

Not sure if it will help, but you might want to check out Michael
Trott's Guidebooks (either the symbolics, or numerics).

Of course, if you have the cash, there is an AceFEM package on the
Wolfram site you might want to look at.

As a side note, you may not want to implement a pure FE code in
Mathematica as you traditionally would in a procedural language like,
say, FORTRAN, or C. Solving these systems symbolically might make more
sense for some systems when using Mathematica. Having said that, I
myself am very new to Mathematica and have not coded any FE or FD
projects, so take that into consideration. Personally, I would love to
see a side-by-side solution of an FE system (even a simple 2D Heat
Eqn) in a procedural language like FORTRAN and the corresponding
solution in Mathematica.

Hope that gives you a starting point