Re: Re: Which editor do you use for math articles

What you say is both true and non-true!  A commercial package such as PC
TeX is a single application that includes the editor, previewer, etc.

On the other hand, the origin of TeX is in the *nix world, so the
paradigm persists of a separate tool for each task:  a text editor; the
executable TeX engine itself; and a previewer (from which one often does
the printing).  The TeX engine may itself have a version that produces
pdf directly, or one may use a separate tool in the bundle that converts
the the standard TeX device-independent output .dvi file into pdf.

The TeX engine is the analog of Mathematica's kernel; the editor and
previewer together form the analog of Mathematica's front end; and the
various TeX/LaTeX packages are analogs of specialized Mathematical packages.

With contemporary distributions, however, the separation into the
different tools is largely transparent to the user. The front-end editor
is, in a sense, the application, and you don't really have to care what
executable or batch file is doing what.

About fonts:  producing a high-quality font family that includes all the
necessary fonts for mathematics is no mean feat. That was a reason that
Donald Knuth originally designed TeX, because so many journal articles
looked plain ugly as they tried to mix and match symbols with letters.
And among symbols I include upper & lower-case Greek, both upright and
slanted, Cyrillic, "blackboard bold", Hebrew (for set theory's Aleph, e.g.)

The standard, default set of fonts is Computer Modern, which looks great
  on-screen but can seem a bit spindly in print. Many folks who are
producing technical documents with mathematical symbols want a different
choice, and that's why the two most popular alternatives -- Times with
MathTimes and Lucida with Lucida Math -- were developed.  To use those,
instead of Computer Modern, one simply includes a line or two of code in
the document to load some packages; then, provided you have the
underlying fonts, everything works transparently; you do have many
options available that you can set for these fonts though, and some even
for Computer Modern, e.g., just what font to use for script.

(TeX is is used for many purposes far from math and science, and there
are fonts and supporting packages available for a huge number of world
languages.)

It is NOT difficult at all to getting a working TeX system: my TeX-naive
Math 370 students all managed to do it in short order.

But just like using Mathematica effectively takes some learning effort,
so using LaTeX effectively does, too.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305