Re: Getting Workbench to Work

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg99677] Re: Getting Workbench to Work
  • From: Hannes <HannesKessler at hushmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 06:22:31 -0400 (EDT)

Hello Karsten,

from what you write it seems that your example would not run even
outside the Workbench. Try the following to load a function with Needs
["myTest`myPackage`"] from your personal Applications directory:

1. Set your environment variable MATHEMATICA_USERBASE to C:\local\Mma
(you did that already)
2. Create a directory C:\local\Mma\Applications
3. Create a directory C:\local\Mma\Applications\myTest
4. Create a notebook C:\local\Mma\Applications\myTest\myPackage.nb
5. Write your package code in the notebook myPackage.nb, for example

BeginPackage["myTest`myPackage`"];

addone::usage="addone[n_Integer] adds one to an integer n";

Begin["`Private`"];

addone[n_Integer]:=n+1;

End[];
EndPackage[];

6. Select all input cells (Alt + click on the cell bracket of an
arbitrary input cell) and make them to initialization cells (menu Cell-
>Cell properties->Initialization cell)
7. Save your file and answer yes on the question "Create autosave
package?". This will save all initialization cells to the package
file
    C:\local\Mma\Applications\myTest\myPackage.m
8. Open a fresh Mathematica session in any notebook, load your package
with Needs["myTest`myPackage`"] from the package file and use the
function addone.

Every time you change or create an initialization cell in myPackage.nb
the package file myPackage.m will be updated. Alternatively you could
create the package file myPackage.m with any text editor or in the
Workbench. The advantage of myPackage.nb is that you can write
additional explanations in text cells (Alt+7) or do additional test
calculations in non-initialization cells without saving these to the
package file. I create all my packages in this way and never look in
any of the automatically created .m files. An additional advantage is
that you can use special Mathematica characters in variable names
which look as expected in the notebook but not when editing the .m
file with a normal text editor. I cannot help you regarding Workbench
specifics as I tried the first release, encountered many problems and
stopped after that. But try it yourself. Presumably the initial bugs
are fixed now.

Best regards,
Hannes Kessler