Define a function as a graphics directive?

Hi,

I have a very simple contour plot:

ContourPlot[ z Exp[-Sqrt[z^2 + x^2]/2.], {x, -10, 10}, {z, -10, 10},
  ContourShading -> None, Contours -> 15,
  ContourStyle -> {{Black, Thick}}]

I do not want the plot shaded, but I want to color the contour lines
according to  a function of z (e.g., Sign[z], where z>0 is black, z<0
is red). Can this be done within ContourStyle?

I tried putting a function definition for the color inside
ContourShading, but I get an error since it's not a graphics directive
(and it's my understanding that ColorFunction is only for shading the
regions between contours).

Thanks for any input!
Porscha