Re: Undo in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg105053] Re: Undo in Mathematica
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 05:23:42 -0500 (EST)

fd wrote:
> All,
>
> I was wondering if and how I could do any useful "undo" in
> Mathematica. The one I get from the edit menu just allows me to undo
> the last step (if it is not evaluated). This is pretty unsatisfactory,
> even more for a program with this complexity.
>
> I've tried navigating in the Option Inspector without luck, maybe
> someone found something?
>

> F.

WRI claim that a general (multi-level) undo is impractical in notebooks
because of the complexity of the environment and potential size of the
files, but I would claim they could do a LOT better than the current scheme.

For example, the could restrict the UNDO mechanism to cells that are not
generated (i.e. not output), and possibly the undo stack would only go
back as far as the previous evaluation.

I would have thought a multi-level undo is pretty vital in an
interactive program!

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk