Re: total newbie

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg111062] Re: total newbie
  • From: Helen Read <hpr at together.net>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 01:07:21 -0400 (EDT)

On 7/17/2010 8:16 AM, Michael Robinson wrote:
> I downloaded mathematica tonight so I can do an assignment.  I have to
> modify a file our teacher posted on the class website, solve some equations
> and generate a curve...
> okay, this file ends in the extension nb.
> I need to know how to make the commands in the file execute.
>
> Now don't laugh.  I put the  cursor at the end of the line (for example a
> ParametricPlot command) and hit enter.  I get a carriage return.
>
> My problem is so elementary that the help menus don't even address it.

Shift-Enter (that is, hold down the shift key while you press Enter).

Here's a getting started video that I made for my own students that you
might find useful. Try doing the examples in Mathematica along with the
video. If it goes too fast, pause the video so you can catch up.

--
Helen Read
University of Vermont