Re: Fonts, Formats, and examples as learning tools

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg113682] Re: Fonts, Formats, and examples as learning tools
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2010 05:12:55 -0500 (EST)

In article <ib390l$f56$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu> wrote:

> I believe one of the factors involved here is that TableForm is an older
> function, and that Row and Column (and, more generally, Grid) appeared
> only in more recent Mathematica versions -- although in some form they
> clearly had to be working behind the scenes before.

Good point! -- I never even thought about including Grid in my
explorations.

Obviously lots of opportunities here for my often cited (and far from
mythical) "ordinary users" to run into lots of classic Mathematica
"gotchas" in this whole programming infrastucture.

One more instance where there could, and should, be a warning pointer,
pointing to a unified, detailed, but ordinary user oriented tutorial
maybe with a title like

   "Lists, Tables, Grids, Rows, and Columns"

with this pointer located just below the initial definition in the Help
documents for every single command that contains any of the above
strings.