on importing/exporting binary files

Dear All,
 I have some files that contain a text header followed by binary data.
My problem is to open the file, change a line in the (text) header and
close it (saving it).
I tried with  "Import"  but it takes long time and when I "export" the
files the binary part gets messed up.

Does anyone know how to do this efficiently as I have thousands of
files that need to be processed?

Thanks, Luigi