Re: End of Sound

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg119934] Re: End of Sound
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 06:31:11 -0400 (EDT)

On 29/06/2011 22:32, info at dvholten.de wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> i am playing with Sound and it's gang.
> My code is something like this:
>
>   Play[  Sound[ {"Polysynth",
>                 SoundNote["Bb5" , 0.169 ],
>              SoundNote["Bb5" ,{ 0.285, 0.4540}  ],
>              SoundNote["Bb5" ,{ 1.142, 1.31}  ],
>              SoundNote["Bb5" ,{ 1.428, 1.596}  ]
>     } ]
>   ]
>
> I notice the 'switch off' at the end of the sound - before its actually
> over.
> Even adding one or more SoundNote[ None ] with some duration doesnt extend
> the silent phase at the end.
> I help myself by adding a very low volume sound at the end.
>
> But what is the proposed way to handle this?
> How to make sure the generator is switched off some time *after* the
> sounds ends?
> Shouldn't Sound (or Play?) honour trailing None-SoundNotes ?
>
> greetings
> dvh

SoundNote takes an option SoundVolume, so I guess you could pad the end
of your sound with a few notes of zero volume.

This however raises another missing feature of the sound system - I'd
like to be able to monitor how far I am into a sound, or at least to
know when it has completed. At the very least, I'd like to have an
option on EmitSound to return only when the sound has stopped playing.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk