Some assistance from seasoned users.

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg124894] Some assistance from seasoned users.
  • From: "peter livingston" <peter.livingston at>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 06:35:51 -0500 (EST)

I have recently come to the pleasures of Mathematica from other popular but
very expensive programming methods that I, as a retiree, cannot afford.

My specific question is this: why am I able to get Mathematica to do the
complete integral of sin(x)/x, but it refuses to do any of the other types:
specifically sin^3[x]/x or sin^3[x]/x^3 over the half interval from zero to
infinity. (see page 449 of G & R  Table of Integrals).

It seems to suggest that throwing away my Gradshtein and Ryzhik is premature
in spite of the claims in the Mathematica "Mathematics and Algorithms"

Peter Livingston