Re: Memory Blowup Issues

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg126791] Re: Memory Blowup Issues
  • From: Ralph Dratman <ralph.dratman at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 05:22:27 -0400 (EDT)

David,

Thank you for your comments. I actually am trying to be helpful to
Wolfram, simply because I think Mathematica is an outstanding product.
Taming the experience of using the software, especially for new users,
would be of enormous benefit to the company, since the software might
then reach a far wider audience.

It seems possible to me that Mathematica, in a slightly different form
and possibly under a different name, could become for today's
computers what Basic was for the Apple II and the IBM PC. I think the
little message handler we have been discussing actually brings it
closer to that goal.

messageHandler = If[Last[#], Interrupt[]] &
Internal`AddHandler["Message", messageHandler]

With a different style of documentation and some related changes to
the user interface, Mathematica might shrug off its (currently well
deserved) reputation for being expensive and difficult to use, and
take on an entirely new position in the marketplace.

Ralph