MathGroup Archive 2012

[Date Index] [Thread Index] [Author Index]

Search the Archive

Re: Engineering requests

• To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg125398] Re: Engineering requests
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 04:06:47 -0500 (EST)
  • Delivered-to: l-mathgroup@mail-archive0.wolfram.com
  • References: <jiqflj$3o$1@smc.vnet.net> <201203091110.GAA26889@smc.vnet.net>

David,

>> Have you explored the Units` package?

I have, but have probably not given it sufficient time.  I'm not sure "automatic" and "natural" would describe the implementation.

>> If the data is definitely evenly spaced in time, why not write a function that
>> splits out the second dimension as in mylist[[All,2]], and performs a Fourier Transform?

We are looking for software spectrum analyzer functionality.  Without the sampling rate, we can assign frequency to the graph.

>> Because typeset expressions can be embedded in graphics, it might be fairly easy to build
>> what you have in mind - but it would need a better specification!

The best specification I could give is to look at the competition.  They have put a lot of time into a significantly lesser product and been tragically successful.  The white board capability is, however, industry leading.  It just falls of quite sharply after that.

Thanks,
Paul

Paul McHale  |  Electrical Engineer, Energetics Systems  |  Excelitas Technologies Corp.

Phone:   +1 937.865.3004   |   Fax:  +1 937.865.5170   |   Mobile:   +1 937.371.2828
1100 Vanguard Blvd, Miamisburg, Ohio 45342-0312 USA
Paul.McHale at Excelitas.com
www.excelitas.com

Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.
This email message and any attachments are confidential and proprietary to Excelitas Technologies Corp. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please inform the sender by replying to this email or sending a message to the sender and destroy the message and any attachments.
Thank you

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, March 09, 2012 6:10 AM
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
Subject: [mg125398] Re: Engineering requests

On 02/03/2012 12:49, McHale, Paul wrote:
> So, here are some problems we face, but don't have great answers for in Mathematica.
>
> 1. Dimensional analysis.  To do this, we must have unit support.  The
> best description of this is the ability to calculate (V/R)^2 R and
> have it return a unit of watts.  Other programs handily support this
> (though they are sorely lacking in other places :))
>
Have you explored the Units` package?
> 2. Tolerances support.  One difficulty we have is determining the min/max at a certain point in a circuit even if the circuit is not complicated to model.  I use lists {Rmax,Rmin} and Table.  Works, but is a little clumsy.
>
Look up Interval in the help system.
> 3. More efficient writing of documents.  Much easier ability to minimize code segments that offer little to the non-Mathematica user.  Could be just a click in the left side column.  Code closing only please.  People will read the text box explanation and view the results below as with most text books.
>
> 4. Toolbox/palette support/ code insertion.  This is getting better.  Much better.
Remember that you can construct your own palettes linked to arbitrary code of your own, which can cut/paste whatever you require.
>
> 5. ITAR deployment with PlayerPro.  I need to share my work in an ITAR environment.  This is essential.  ITAR violations can result in fines that are in the millions and millions of dollars.  PlayerPro is synonymous in functionality to the .Net library.  I need it to deploy my "applications".  $200 is acceptable.  I just need a way to "compile" to PlayerPro without external resources.
>
> 6. ListFFT[].  This is an unusual request.  99% of the data we
> engineers deal with is evenly spaced sample data.  Most of the FFT
> activity I have ever seen involves getting the FFT from a list of data
> and plotting Real[].  Simplified, I know.  Since most of our data is
> in the form {{t1, sample1},{t2, sample2},{t3, sample3}} the time
> information is embedded.  In fact, all information is available to
> perform an FFT.  Just saying it makes life easier.  Could offer
> options like Results->{Real, Imaginary, Both}
>
If the data is definitely evenly spaced in time, why not write a function that splits out the second dimension as in mylist[[All,2]], and performs a Fourier Transform?
> 7. The most compact document would be the familiar whiteboard.  It would be cool to see a version with this mode of document.  Workbench is a step in the other direction.  Mathematica white board document would require no learning if it had palettes.  I say this because the engineers have access to another (significantly lesser) product and are eating it up.
Because typeset expressions can be embedded in graphics, it might be fairly easy to build what you have in mind - but it would need a better specification!
>
> Just some thoughts.  If other engineers are reading this, chime in if you don't mind.  I can't believe how much Mathematica has helped.  Seriously hard problems were successfully achieved and conveyed to a very stringent customer in record time.  Nothing else would have worked.
>
> BTW, they are finally buying me my own copy so I don't have to use my per sonal copy anymore.  This is after buying everyone else seats of other software.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk

• Prev by Date: Re: Engineering requests
  • Next by Date: dynamic updating has been disabled
  • Previous by thread: Re: Engineering requests
  • Next by thread: Re: Engineering requests