installing cdf-reader on chrome under linux?

Does anyone know how to install cdf-reader as a Chrome plugin under
linux (I'm using Mint, but it's pretty much Ubuntu...)?

Here's what happens for me:
 I go to look at a CDF.
 It offers to install the plugin.
 I click yes, answer the questions, get a shell archive downloaded.
 I sudo execute it.
 I go back to look at a CDF (in Chrome) and it still shows as no
plugin, offering to install the reader....

Anyone have a suggestion?  Thanks!