Manipulating a list with unknown number of elements.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg128632] Manipulating a list with unknown number of elements.
  • From: anasimi at gmail.com
  • Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 01:28:48 -0500 (EST)

Hi,
I am trying to derive a formula where my work starts by expanding a function in terms of few basis functions. I wish to keep the number of basis functions general at this point. Can Mathematica do any manipulation on a summation with a limited but unknown number of elements?
When I try defining an array which contains my unknown coefficients it gives an error message and asks for an integer as number of emenets of array.