Manipulating a list with unknown number of elements.

Hi,
I am trying to derive a formula where my work starts by expanding a function in terms of few basis functions. I wish to keep the number of basis functions general at this point. Can Mathematica do any manipulation on a summation with a limited but unknown number of elements?
When I try defining an array which contains my unknown coefficients it gives an error message and asks for an integer as number of emenets of array.