Re: rayshade POV Export help asked

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg130388] Re: rayshade POV Export help asked
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2013 21:54:06 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks for attempting this!

A number of troubles with your distribution on OS X, to the extent I
couldn't reach the stage of getting it to work:

(1) The main package is named rayshade.2.2.m, which means one has to
load it as:

The package name is almost the same as the directory name. Normally one
would place the entire extracted directory into the $UserBaseDirectory's
Applications directory. The Wouldn't it be better to rename the folder,
as distributed, simply "rayshade" and then include within the directory
a subdirectory "Kernel" and in that put an init.m with contents:

(2) The distribution seems to have been developed for older versions of
Mathematica, which requires some considerable fixing for Mathematica 9
(and I think even 8):

    (a) Package rayshade.m begins:

But in current Mathematica, add-on ComputationalGeometry is directly
available with a simpler context-path ComputationalGeometry`. That is,
the BeginPackage should be simply:

     (b) Package rayshade.m includes:

And the old SurfaceGraphics3D.m, distributed with rayshade.2.2, uses
Utilities`FilterOptions`. But the latter utility is now obsolete, and
its functionality is provided by the kernel function FilterRules.

Hope you'll update these things to the current environment -- or, if you
wish, for backward compatibility include some forking -- so that we can
then test the application.

On Apr 6, 2013, at 5:10 AM, debguy <johnandsara2 at> wrote:

> I'd like feedback on this:  Much improved Export for rayshade and POV
> raytracing.
> "most missed support".  It'd be nice to hear what is "most missed" for
> how you might use it.  Other feedback or advice is certainly welcome.
> (rayshade` Makes file.ray that will look much like notebook raytraced
> with rayshade.  Views too, even in front-end. POVRay is partially
> supported too.)
> submitted to  but not yet available there
> - waiting for approval
> Does anyone know if another such raytrace file Export project exists
> other than Mathematica build-in?  (not GL/CL/dfx/threescript graphics,
> raytrace ones)  I missed it if there is.
> Thanks very much !

Murray Eisenberg                                    murray at
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Lederle Graduate Research Tower            phone 413 549-1020 (H)
University of Massachusetts                               413 545-2838 (W)
710 North Pleasant Street                         fax   413 545-1801
Amherst, MA 01003-9305