WIN95 and Mathematica Performance

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg3446] WIN95 and Mathematica Performance
  • From: Dieter Baurecht <Dieter.Baurecht at univie.ac.at>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Mar 1996 01:30:07 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

According to the problems with WIN95 and Mathematica discussed in some
postings in this newsgroup, I want to post the answer I got from
support-europe at wri.com after telling them my problems with poor
performance under Windows 95.

> Dear Sir
>
> Although the version of Mathematica for Windows is not a Windows 95
> application, it should run correctly under Windows 95. However, we have
> discovered that Mathematica does run slower under some Windows 95 systems
> than it does on a comparable Windows 3.1 system. So far, we have found
> two workarounds to the problem.
>
> 1) Installing a MathLink program gives some performance increase
> (although the result is still a reasonably slower than the Windows 3.1
> performance).  You can get a sample MathLink program that can be
> installed by anonymous FTP to MathSource

>         mathsource.wri.com
>
> to get the file

>         /pub/outgoing/Support/addtwo.exe
>
> Note that the Support directory is unreadable, but the files inside it
> are readable.
>
> Put "addtwo.exe" it in the Mathematica directory (probably c:\wnmath22)
> and then edit the file

>         c:\wnmath22\init.m
>
> with a text editor. Add the following line to the end of the init.m file:

> Install["addtwo"]
>

> 2) There is a set of Unix-like utilities available via anonymous FTP
> from several places. Among them are two programs called "nice.exe" and
> "ps.exe".  You can use the "ps" program to look for a process id
> number for the Mathematica kernel.  An example ps listing for the kernel
> is:
>
> 690     -492651 NORM    00:00:00        1174:39:54      Mathematica Kernel
>
> In this case, the process ID number is "-492651".  Now, type:
>
>         nice -492651 high
>
> This will make the kernel run very close to 3.1 speeds. The disadvantage
> to this approach is that you have to perform this procedure every time
> after you launch Mathematica. If you're interested in this workaround,
> then you can get these routines, among other places, via anonymous FTP at

>         ftp.cdrom.com
>
> as the file

>         /win95/utils/unix95.zip
>

> Our development group is current working on newer version of Mathematica
> that will run at speeds comparable to that of Windows 3.1. This version
> is not expected for several weeks. I will have somebody contact you as
> soon as this version is ready.
>
> Your patience in this matter is greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards - Warren

> *   Warren Boon                    *    Mail: support-europe at wrel.co.uk    *
> *   Technical Support              *    Tel : +44 (0)1993 883400           *
> *   Wolfram Research Europe Ltd    *    Fax : +44 (0)1993 883800           *

*******
Dr. Dieter Baurecht, Inst. f. Physikalische Chemie
A-1091 Wien - Austria, Althanstr. 14
mailto:Dieter.Baurecht at univie.ac.at

==== [MESSAGE SEPARATOR] ====