Re: aborting; fattened 3D parametric plots

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg8439] Re: [mg8392] aborting; fattened 3D parametric plots
  • From: David Withoff <withoff>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 00:42:49 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

> hi,
>
> I'm a happy user of Mma 2.2 for X windows.
>
> I tried a TraceDialog[] to watch
> where things are going wrong, and I've convinced myself that my
> module needs re-writing.  Having decided that, I want to end the
> dialog that I'm in.
>
> Return[] merely steps me through one more expression evaluation.
> Abort[] has no effect, since in the context of a dialog it
> doesn't really apply to anything.  Exit[], of course, kills
> everything.  Command-. does nothing.  I do Stack[] and see that
> I'm 6 levels deep in evaluations.  I want to say, "okay, stop
> now", end the dialog, stop the calculation, clear the stack, but
> maintain the other state that I've built up during the session.
>
> How?
>
> Thanks very much,
> Gordon

Set $TracePattern to something that doesn't appear in your evaluation.
When you use TraceDialog with only one argument, $TracePattern is
set to _, which means that it traces everything.  If you set $TracePattern
to something that doesn't come up, the evaluation will proceed without
any more tracing.

In[2]:= TraceDialog[2+2]

TraceDialog::dgbgn: Entering Dialog; use Return[ ] to exit.

 Out[3]= 2 + 2

 In[4]:= $TracePattern

 Out[4]= _

 In[5]:= $TracePattern = "not present" ;