Re: How do I save a Mathematica Animations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg17168] Re: How do I save a Mathematica Animations
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 23:53:14 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
On 17 Apr 1999, David Crosby wrote:

> I have been unable to find out how one can save a Mathematica animation so
> that, for example, it may be included in a Powerpoint presentation?

This question gets asked on this newsgroup in various forms.  With the
exeception of the Macintosh notebook front end, Mathematica 3.0 has no
ability to export a collection of graphics cells or objects in a
standalone animation format like QuickTime, AVI, or even GIF89a animation.

The Windows front end can save out individual graphics cells as Windows
Device Independent Bitmap (.bmp) files.  You can use the Kernel command
Display[] to export Mathematica graphics objects in several other format
-- including GIF, TIFF, and Portable Pixmap.

You should be able to determine from the documentation that came with
Microsoft PowerPoint whether it can import and combine individual graphics
into a single animation or if you will need to supply the animation in an
video format like AVI or MPEG.  If you need to create the animation file
for PowerPoint, you may need to locate a third party utility that can
string together individual bitmaps into the target animation format.

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at wolfram.com
Wolfram Research, Inc.                  http://www.wolfram.com/~paulh/