How to fix bad EPS output from Display[.., .., "EPS"]

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg15582] How to fix bad EPS output from Display[.., .., "EPS"]
  • From: hsg at lem.phy.duke.edu (Henry S. Greenside)
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 04:23:17 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I am trying to use Mathematica 3.01 to produce a journal-quality figure
in .eps format from a Mathematica graphics. When I try a command such
as:

     Display[ "fig1.eps", fig1, "EPS" ]

I find that the Mathematica figure "fig1" is correctly translated into
the .eps file fig1.eps BUT the output is funny and inconvenient: the
actual graphics appears at the bottom of a full size page and the
bottom part of the plot (usually some labels) actually lies outside the
plotting area of a printer and so is cut off when printing.

As a simple example, try this:

     g1 = Plot[ Cos[x], {x,0,2Pi} ] ;

     Display[ "cos.eps", g1, "EPS" ]

then print cos.eps with ghostview or xv, etc.

Does anyone know a simple way to get around this irritating problem, by
preventing Mathematica from sticking the graphics at the bottom of a
full-size page? I would have thought that the .eps output file would be
a minimal size box just containing the desired graphics.

	Thanks,

	Henry