Re: request help

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg33110] Re: [mg33088] request help
  • From: Tomas Garza <tgarza01 at prodigy.net.mx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 06:30:36 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I suggest you take a look at NDSolve in the Help Browser, or in The Book. I
quote: "NDSolve[eqns, y, {x, xmin, xmax}] finds a numerical solution to the
ordinary differential equations eqns for the function y with the independent
variable x in the range xmin to xmax". And also "NDSolve gives results in
terms of InterpolatingFunction objects". So there should be no problem.
Using the right notation, since f[x] is a known function I take an
artificial example, e.g., f[x] = x^2, and any initial conditions:

In[1]:=
NDSolve[{y''[x] == x^2*y[x] + Cos[x],
   y'[0] == 1, y[0] == 1}, y[x], {x, 0, Pi}]

Out[2]=
{{y[x] -> InterpolatingFunction[][x]}}

Now, I trust you know how to use the solution in terms of rules and
interpolation function. Otherwise, you must go back to basics.

Tomas Garza
Mexico City