New user with a problem, Can anyone help?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg33191] New user with a problem, Can anyone help?
- From: royjmckee at aol.com (RoyJMckee)
- Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 02:23:45 -0500 (EST)
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Currently doing a homework exercise and stuck on a question. Question: Find all values of x and y for which both 409 - 166x + 17x^2 - 218y + 92xy - 10x^2 y + 34y^2 - 16xy^2 + 2x^2 y^2 and 23 - 5x - 8y + 2 are equal to zero. Hence find expressions a and b (involving x and y) such that these two expressions are equal to a^2 + b^2 and a + b, respectively. Can anyone help or give any hints as I am struggling to grasp this question? Please email me at roymckee at hotmail.com