Precision....

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg33266] Precision....
  • From: Balaji Srinivasan <sbalaji at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 05:09:24 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,
I am a beginner to Mathematica, so I am sorry in case this is kind of
trivial.
I was trying to implement the PSLQ Integer Detection Algorithm in
Mathematica 4.0. Was running into problems trying to implement something
of the following nature:
Have a bunch of matrices at an arbitrarily high precision level.

Initially I wanted to convert them to say double precision
(will N[x,16] do? or do I have to use SetAccuracy?)

At this juncture I needed to carry out a bunch of steps at double
precision.
(will $MaxPrecision = 'something or the other' work here?)

Next, back to a bunch of calculations at an arbitrarily high precision. Is
there any easy and robust way of doing these steps.

The double-precision steps are to save computation. Don't know if
Mathematica would actually save time even if these are implemented..
Thanks,
Balaji