Re: info about fonts in eps

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41661] Re: info about fonts in eps
  • From: Bas Zoetekouw <bas+news at o2w.nl>
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 03:56:12 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Mirko Degli Esposti wrote in comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica:
>  I'm using mathematica to produce some plots for a pubblications. I save
>  them as .eps and inport them in latex.  I have a lot of trouble with
>  the fonts, in particular when I use greek letters, special symbols as
>  a_0 and so on.....  I think I know mathematica quite well, but I was
>  never able to solve this problem.

The problem seems to be that, for some reason, Mathematica does not
embed the used fonts in the eps file.

There are several things you can do to solve this:
 1. Use psfrag instead of the (ugly) mathematica fonts, as the other
    poster suggested.
 2. Download the postscript fonts from [1], install them in some
    location where ghostscript can find them, and run ps2ps on your
    exported pictures.  This will give you a new file, including the
    fonts.
 3. Use the emmathfnt package, available at [2]

I've only used the first and second method, which both work fine
(although the first is somewhat easier and gives better results).
I've never tried the third option, but it looks nice and should be
quite easy to use.

[1] http://support.wolfram.com/mathematica/systems/allplatforms/manualfontdownload.html
[2] http://library.wolfram.com/infocenter/MathSource/628

--
Kind regards,
  Bas Zoetekouw               ``Si l'on sait exactement ce que l'on va