Re: Re: Trying to use Mathematica as "word processor" for my math homework

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg44415] Re: Re: Trying to use Mathematica as "word processor" for my math homework
  • From: "Steve Luttrell" <luttrell at _removemefirst_westmal.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2003 04:50:57 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

You can do this in two ways:

    1. Simple way: Use a Text or Caption cell beneath the cell containing
the table.

    2. Sophisticated way: Make the caption part of the table by creating a
grid box with 2 boxes arranged in a column, in the upper of the 2 boxes
create a gridbox for the table, and in the lower of the 2 boxes put the
caption.

You can construct very complicated 2-dimensional structures by nesting boxes
as in (2) above.

--
Steve Luttrell
West Malvern, UK

news:boftdr$5p7$1 at smc.vnet.net...

To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
> Subject: [mg44415]  Re: Trying to use Mathematica as "word processor" for my
> math homework
>

> > 1. Don't use input cells for your running text. To display maths in
> running
> > text use a text cell and embed the maths as an inline cell embedded
within
> > this text cell. You can start an inline cell by putting the cursor
> anywhere
> > in a text cell and doing "Ctrl 9" (or Edit | Expression INput | Start
> Inline
> > Cell).
> >
> > 2. It may be that the page properties are such that there is not enough
> room
> > for the plot left on the current page (even though there IS enough room
> > according to your eye). Have a look at File | Printing Settings | Page
> > Setup...
> >
> > 3 & 4. You have overridden the default fonts in your cells. If you want
> > make global changes then it is best to edit the style sheet. This is
done
> > via Format | Edit Style Sheet ..., and select "Import Private Copy" to
> > ensure you don't edit the master copy.
> >
> > If you want to have a standard set up for writing a paper for
publication
> > you could start with the "Article Classic" or "Article Modern" style
sheet
> > (reached from the Format | Style Sheet | ... menu). Use Text cells as
your
> > default. Embed inline maths using inline cells in the text cells. Use
> > Numbered Equation or Display Formula cells for equations, and convert
> these
> > cells to TraditionalForm using Cell | Convert To | Traditional Form in
> order
> > to get the maths to display in a nice format (i.e. rather like LaTeX
would
> > produce, but in a different font). For multi-line equations you can lay
> > things out in a controlled way by inserting a GridBox in the equation
(you
> > find this looking like an empty 2x2 matrix on the Basic Typesetting
> Palette
> > reached from the File | Palettes | ... menu), and you plug whatever you
> want
> > into the empty gridbox cells ... and I could go on and on ... I find
> > Mathematica can do everything I want in writing technical papers, but
it's
> > just not documented in a way that helps you get started quickly!
> >
> > --
> > Steve Luttrell
> > West Malvern, UK
> >
> > "Bob Harris" <nitlion at mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > news:bo7oud$aj1$1 at smc.vnet.net...
> > > Howdy,
> > >
> > > I have recently returned to grad school, and am attempting to use
> > > mathematica as my "word processor" for my math-related homework.
There