Re: Invisible - misleading documentation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg101891] Re: Invisible - misleading documentation
  • From: Chris Osborn <chrisosb at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 19:22:26 -0400 (EDT)

On Jul 20, 5:01 am, David Reiss <dbre... at gmail.com> wrote:
> I wouldn't consider this a bug.  The documentation doesn't say
> anything other than that the contents of Invisible are not visible.
> It does not say that they are inactive.  In general, implementations
> of functions in Mathematica adhere to the descriptions in the
> documentation which serve as their design document.  Another aspect of
> this is that if you find a behavior of a function that, though
> possibly useful to you, which is not documented, then you generally
> should not completely count on it being preserved in future versions
> of Mathematica.
>
> But, for reporting bugs you should use supp... at wolfram.com.
>
> Best,
> David
>
> On Jul 19, 7:15 am, Chris Osborn <chris... at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > According to the docs:
>
> > "Invisible[expr] displays as space that is the same size as the
> > formatted version of expr."
>
> > I was surprised to find that a Button within Invisible is actually
> > still active, although invisible.
> > I think a note on this behavior should be added to the documentation.
>
> > Is there a way to submit a "bug" report to Wolfram?
>
> > Thanks,
> > Chris

Thanks for all your help, guys!
And thanks for the quick replies from Wolfram; I understand the issue
has been addressed in the current build
of Mathematica.

Just for fun, to counter the assertion that there is no discrepancy
between the docs and the behavior of Invisible:

Although the name of the function is "Invisible", the word "invisible"
is not otherwise used in the documentation.
The function description is as follows:

"Invisible[expr] displays as *space* that is the same size as the
formatted version of expr."

The descriptive text accompanying the examples is consistent with this
description.

Chris