Re: import issue

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg123821] Re: import issue
  • From: Barrie Stokes <Barrie.Stokes at newcastle.edu.au>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 06:53:57 -0500 (EST)

Hi Francisco

I happened to be talking to a medical colleague about this yesterday.

Experimentation (with my 2003 version of Excel) quickly shows that the
standard Excel sheet has 256 columns (A to IV) and 2^16 rows, so 2^24
cells. I said in passing that if there were problems Importing a very
full sheet from him, I would just cut the sheet up into sufficiently
smaller subsheets (keeping all the columns, but taking rows 1-10,000,
10,001 to 20,000, or so). Then join up the subsheets in Mathematica
(trivial).

Sometimes you need to get the job done without a general exploration of
the problem - at least that*s how it often is for me.

BTW, some Googling found this at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff700514.aspx#Office2007excelPerf_BigGridIncreasedLimitsExcel:

*Starting in Excel 2007, the "Big Grid" increases the maximum number
of rows per worksheet from 65,536 to over 1 million, and the number of
columns from 256 (IV) to 16,384 (XFD).*

Best,

Barrie

<201112200801.DAA27014 at smc.vnet.net>,