Re: 3d graphs (parametric)

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg13639] Re: 3d graphs (parametric)
  • From: "Allan Hayes" <hay at>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 08:56:02 +0100
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

cutforth craig f wrote in message <6qbqpt$a6j at>...
>jason theiling wrote:
>> I am working on a project with Mathematica 3 for Win 95, and I was
>> wondering if it is possible to do a 3D plot of some sorts that will
>> involve 5 equations. Basicly, I have 3 motion (location) equations, 1
>> for time, and 1 for rotation/orientation of particle.  Really, the
>> equations are just parameters, but the program doesn't like that many
>> of them, so I have been stuck with just plotting each equation
>> individually.  Maybe if I could do multiple graphs or something???
>> Any help would be great!!
>  You could try using ParametricPlot.  You will be able to plot two
>parameters then as something varies.  I have found nothing that allows
>more than two functions in ParametricPlot.

We can plot several lines with ParametricPlot, ParametricPlot3D - see
*** below

"ParametricPlot[{fx, fy}, {t, tmin, tmax}] produces a parametric plot
with x and y coordinates fx and fy generated as a function of t.
***ParametricPlot[{{fx, fy}, {gx, gy}, ... }, {t, tmin, tmax}] plots
several parametric curves."

"ParametricPlot3D[{fx, fy, fz}, {t, tmin, tmax}] produces a
three-dimensional \
space curve parametrized by a variable t which runs from tmin to tmax. \
ParametricPlot3D[{fx, fy, fz}, {t, tmin, tmax}, {u, umin, umax}]
produces a \
three-dimensional surface parametrized by t and u. ParametricPlot3D[{fx,
fy, \
fz, s}, ... ] shades the plot according to the color specification s. \
***ParametricPlot3D[{{fx, fy, fz}, {gx, gy, gz}, ... }, ... ] plots
several \
objects together."

As you see we can also plot several surfaces with ParametricPlot3D, but
we can't mix lines and surfaces.

Training and Consulting
Leicester UK
hay at