RE: units

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg28761] RE: [mg28743] units
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at>
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 20:00:39 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Convert to a unit of 1.

1.0 Centimeter/(1.0 Milli Meter)
Convert[%, 1]

If you do a lot of work with units, you may wish to try the V4ExtendUnits
package at my web site.
It is somewhat easier to use and contains many extra features.

1.0 Centimeter/(1.0 Milli Meter)
% // ToUnit[1]

The package has features such as conversion to base SI units, simple
conversion commands for common structures of data, easier temperature
conversions, simultaneous conversion to multiple compatible units, parsing
of units to descending compatible units (e.g. Day, Hour, Minute, Second),
ability to specify number format at the same time as conversion, a new
number format, PrefixForm, which automatically picks the correct prefix for
output of numbers, ability to convert unit expressions to unitless
expressions with specified implied input and output units (for numerical
work or plotting), ability to install your own units and use them just like
regular units (e.g. GeV). In addition, there is a ReducedUnits package which
allows you to implement unit systems where some physical constants are taken
as equal to 1 (e.g. geometric units in gravitation or atomic units).

David Park
djmp at

To: mathgroup at