Re: math kernel keeps trying to access an ip
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg48418] Re: [mg48417] math kernel keeps trying to access an ip
- From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
- Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 02:57:26 -0400 (EDT)
- Reply-to: jfultz at wolfram.com
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
On Fri, 28 May 2004 00:51:11 -0400 (EDT), sean kim wrote: > I was wondering... > > kernel keeps trying to connect to an off site location with IP > address, 184.108.40.206. > > my zonealarm blocked it 63 times at one point! > > what is the deal with this? is this something Mathematica needs to do? > am i > supposed to allow this access? > > i don't know if anyone else have noticed that.... > > > sean This address is very likely the domain name server for your machine. We know about a problem where Mathematica is making unnecessary calls to the name server for name resolution of the local machine (the calls are unnecessary because the name resolution wasn't really necessary, and even if it were, it could have been cached). Keeping Mathematica firewalled is perfectly safe, and shouldn't cause you any problems in using it. Sincerely, John Fultz jfultz at wolfram.com User Interface Group Wolfram Research, Inc.