Re: 3D plotting problem

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg51755] Re: 3D plotting problem
  • From: "Steve Luttrell" <steve_usenet at>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 02:52:31 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

This is the sort of thing you want to do:

    1. Your notation for the 2p orbital function (the left hand side of your
definition) could not possibly have worked in Mathematica so I have
rewritten it.
    2. The surface in ContourPlot3D is defined as Abs[fz[x,y,z,1]]-0.3 == 0.
I have used Abs so you get both of the lobes of the 2p orbital in the same
    3. PlotPoints->{7,7}] gives you sufficient resolution for a good quality
plot. If the resolution is set too low then the plot might not appear at
    4. Play around with the various parameters to get whatever plot you
actually want.

Steve Luttrell

"Henning Heiberg-Andersen" <Henning.Heiberg-Andersen at> wrote in
message news:cm20mr$g60$1 at