Kernel shuts down due to lack of memory

I have P4 3.8GHz with 2GB of RAM (95% free) and 3GB page file, yet,
when solving the system of 10 polynomial equations with FindRoot, after
5 minutes of running I get "No more memory available. Mathematica
kernel has shut down. Try quitting other applications and then retry.".
 Is there a way to bypass this problem?  My old laptop never has this
problem although it keeps solving and solving forever.