Writing to an external file?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg73348] Writing to an external file?
  • From: laohu <shushue at>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 06:59:42 -0500 (EST)

When I run the lines below and write the outputs to the the file /trial12/,

Print ["The answer is ",a]>>>trial12

 The answer is  17

in /trial12/ I get the contents indicated below:

Whenever I write text or text+number combinations, I always get a null
string.  Same problem with Export["filename.txt", a].

Can anyone tell me how to write a Print line or text to an external file?